On June 7th. the City Council adopted the City’s FY 2018 operating and capital improvement budgets (Ordinance 17—32 and Ordinance 17—33).
The Council allocated approximately S3.5 billion to fund solutions to numerous community priorities and concerns. such as road repaving, homeless solutions, and sewer improvements. Some budget items that may benefit Alea residents include:
- 52 million — Recreation District No. 2 Improvements (plans, design, construction, inspection and related equipment for park improvements)
- 570,000 — Guardrail Improvements at Various Locations (construction olguardra improvements on Aiea 1-leights Drive)
- 519.5 million — Sewer Mainline and Lateral Projects (plans, design, construction. and inspection of mainline and lateral improvements at locations. including sewer rehabilitation for I larbor View and the Aiea Kai Place sewer)
- 516.6 million — Wastewater Treatment Plant, Pump Station, and Force Main Projects (Rehabilitation items for force mains in the 2010 Consent Decree, including the Flalawa Force Main)
- 51.125 million —Aiea District I’ark (Design and construct par improvements, including installation ofa roof over the existing batting cage adjacent to the baseball field).
The City administration’s revenue measures like Resolution 17—70, CDI (establishing real property tax rates for FY IS) and the following revenue measures have been signed by Mayor Caldwell into law:
- Ordinance 17-24— Motor Vehicle Weight Tax (increases ofS.0l per pound in 2018 and 2019)
- Ordinance 17—25 — Parking Meters (doubles on-street parking fees in Downtown-Chinatown and Waikiki. and increases on-street meter rates to S I .50 per hour on Oahu)
- Ordinance 17—27 — Public Transit (enables the City to amend the fare structure of TheBus, increasing by roughly $10 per month for adult passengers).
Now that this year’s legislative budget review has been completed, I hope that we’ll be able to resolve some areas oconcern identified with the batting cage atAiea District Park’s new baseball field. Please contact Roelle Torres at 768-5071 if you have additional questions regarding the budget items listed above.