The Kakaako Public Infrastructure and Facilities Working Group, an advisory body established by the City Council (Resolution 15-45, CD1) to provide a comprehensive examination of Kakaako area private roads, recently wrapped up. The co-chairs summarized the group’s general consensus for resolving usage and maintenance issues in the form of five recommendations, ranging from road condemnation and subsequent infrastructure improvements to requiring developers to provide road ownership documentation at the time of a development project application, to City enforcement of traffic regulations. Although the official report is yet to be released, the group’s discussions and recommendations contributed to the introduction of several measures at the State Legislature, including House Bills (HB) 2048, 2049, 2050, and 2028; and Senate Bills (SB) 2281 and 2282. Some of these bills, along with several other private road related measures, are still moving through the legislative process:
- HB2049, HD2: Allows the State or a county to acquire roads by condemnation, and exempts the State and counties from laws that would require them to perform road rehabilitation.
- SB2372, SD1: States that if no act of ownership is exercised on a private road for five years, the City will assume ownership of the roadway.
- HB2048, HD1: Prohibits HCDA from approving community development plans and permits for the Kakaako district without a memorandum of understanding with the developer that acknowledges the ownership of each public street or highway adjacent to the land named in the application.
- HB2092, HD1: Clarifies the authority of HCDA to prohibit or restrict stopping, standing, or parking vehicles on sidewalks fronting Kakaako private roads.
- HB2604, HD1: Finds acceptance of a dedication of land in Kakaako by Hawaii’s territorial legislature sufficient to convey title to the State.
The City Council is also preparing supplemental legislation to support the working group’s recommendations (see attached listing). Please contact Mandie Suyat of my staff at 768-5072 or at email@example.com if you have any additional questions or concerns.